Monday, March 29, 2010

Tilapia Goes Thai

Recently I've made some fish dishes with good cuts of fish (citrus glazed salmon, pineapple chile Chilean sea bass) but I think even a more typically bland white fish can be dressed up with an interesting twist. Here's one I really like:

Tilapia in Thai Red Curry

4 tilapia filets
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. minced peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves minced (eyeball it)
1 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped green onions (I use less - too many green onions will overpower a dish)
1 tsp. curry powder (I of course use more like a tablespoon ...)
2 tsp. red curry paste (Thai Kitchen is brand I recommend)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin (again I double that)
4 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce (less salty and better for you)
1 tbsp. brown sugar (I love the fusion of sweet with the spice!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 can light coconut milk

1) Heat 1/2 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, cook one minute. Add bell pepper and onions, cook one minute. Stir in cumin, curry powder, paste, cook one minute.
2) Add soy sauce, sugar, coconut milk, salt, bring to simmer (do not boil!) Remove from heat, stir in cilantro garnish (which I use sparingly.)
3) Brush fish with oil, sprinkle salt, place on baking sheet with cooking spray, broil 7 minutes.
4) Serve basmati rice topped with fish, sauce, and lime wedges.

~I tested this recipe on Giulio, who gives it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment