Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Kind Life

I came across Alicia's Silverstone's book The Kind Diet by chance when I was at the Boston Book Festival this past October. I went to hear Alicia Silverstone speak about her new book enticed by the prospect of seeing a celebrity - who didn't love "Clueless"? - but was surprised to find her to be a very compelling speaker. She explained how The Kind Diet delineates how to lead a vegetarian and subsequently vegan lifestyle by changing dietary habits in a three-step process, ultimately aiming for a macrobiotic diet. The book serves as both an informational resource and a cookbook, including some of Alicia's own recipes.

Naturally I bought a copy of the book for one of my vegetarian friends and read it cover to cover. I have attempted a vegetarian diet in the past but did not consume sufficient protein, iron, and B12 amounts, and was curious to see what food source alternatives Alicia's recommendations have to offer. So I tried making some of her recipes, which include an artichoke, mushroom and leek crostini topped with pesto, baked seitan, and a black bean kalbocha squash stew recipe that I really want to try. I found her vegan lemon poppyseed bread to be less than satisfying compared to the buttermilk versions - it was dry and didn't use enough lemon zest to give it the tang that I prefer - but I found her vegan product recommendations to be very helpful. Alicia suggests Earth Balance buttery spread as a butter substitute, which I tried using in my cooking and discovered it still achieves the desired buttery taste for my pie crusts, yet is easier on the stomach. I also experimented with using agave syrup as an all-natural sweetener rather than refined sugar, which I use in my coffee to avoid blood sugar spikes and crashes; and milk alternatives such as soy (light Silk is my favorite) and almond milk, which I highly recommend. It's rich, creamy, and great for baking. The Kind Diet lists many helpful vegan substitutes for cooking, as well as a variety of meat-free recipes that cater to different levels of vegetarianism, from those that still include eggs and dairy in their diets to the "Super Star" macrobiotic diet.

I have mixed feelings about the macrobiotic diet, which focuses on whole grains supplemented by vegetables and beans, avoiding highly processed and refined foods. While I support the philosophy of healthy eating behind the macrobiotic diet, such as consuming locally grown produce and seasonally appropriate meals - I naturally eat more raw vegetables in the spring and summer as a result of their availability anyways - I still find some aspects of the macrobiotic lifestyle troublesome. Macrobiotic cooking avoids the use of nightshades, which include peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant, and advocates sparing use of spinach, beets, and avocados as well - I think that spinach is a wonderfully nutritious vegetable and crucial natural iron source for a vegetarian diet, and frankly don't see the logic behind eliminating it. Furthermore, peppers are great source of vitamin C, helpful to the immune system, and have such a wide variety of species to accent dishes in completely different ways, from spicy habeneros to dried chili peppers to fresh, sweet yellow bell peppers ... to avoid them seems almost criminal to me. (Furthermore I just happen to love eggplant and beets, so following a truly macrobiotic diet is out of the question for me.) So while I condone the emphasis on healthy eating and a balanced lifestyle, I much prefer the "Mediterranean diet."

Though at times The Kind Diet can become too preachy about the vegan lifestyle, which I respect but choose not to follow, thank you, it successfully serves as a good resource for vegetarian cooking.

3.5/5 stars.

Visit Alicia's website The Kind Life (http://www.thekindlife.com/) for more tips and recipes.

2 comments:

  1. Here are some of my friend Kris' (who's lactose intolerant) tips for dairy-free cooking:

    Dairy-free products:
    for a butter substitute I like Earth Balance Buttery Spread, available at most grocery stores now.
    milk: I like Silk, and if you are concerned about calories they have a light version that is good also. The Very Vanilla is sooo good, but I wouldn't cook with it. I do cook with the plain though, like if I'm making mashed potatoes or something.
    mayo: mayo does not have dairy in it, but it does have eggs which are another thing I cannot eat. Not sure if you are thinking about giving up eggs too, but if so, I like Spectrum eggless mayo. I've only ever seen it at Whole Foods.
    Chocolate: good quality dark chocolate does not have milk in it, but things like Hershey's and M&Ms Dark do, so be careful. I don't eat a lot of chocolate because I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate, but there is vegan milk chocolate, made with (I assume) soy milk.
    Ice cream: I have tried all the soy ice-cream products out there. I can say that Tofutti brand is the best (all Tofutti products are great), especially if you want plain chocolate or vanilla. Try their Marry Me bars, you'll never miss ice cream. I also like the Purely Decadent pints of soy ice cream if i'm looking for flavored varieties like cookie dough. So Delicious is fine, although their vanilla has a bit of a soy-ish flavor. Lastly, Purely Decadent makes a coconut milk-based ice cream, dairy free, that is good too. Definitely tastes like coconut milk, but if you like that it's great.
    Cream Cheese and Sour Cream: Tofutti, hands down. Available in most grocery stores.
    Cheese: I don't have a lot of experience here. I like the Galaxy Rice slices, but they have casein in them, which is milk protein, so you should stay away from them. There definitely are vegan cheese out there, just be careful when you're in the grocery store bc a lot of them that look like they are milk-free have casein in them, so look for "vegan" explicitly. I have heard great things about Chreese brand, but I can't get it here. Keep an eye out for it.
    Baking mixes: I love Cherrybrook Kitchen's products. I use their dairy-free egg-free pancake mix alll the time. They also have a great chocolate cake mix, frosting mix, cookie mix, etc, and they are local. You can find all their products at Whole Foods.

    Blogs and cookbooks:
    I look for mostly vegan things, because it's a shortcut for dairy free, and if you are in the mood for meet you can just add it.

    101cookbooks.com is a great site that features all kinds of food, not all dairy free, but it does have a vast dairy-free recipe collection. The common thread between all the recipes is the use of local, in season vegetables and whole grains.

    veganyumyum.com is a good site, i'm dying to try the man n' cheese although i'm a little scared.

    theppk.com is another good vegan site. I've made lots of stuff from it and been happy with most things.

    I have a cookbook called Veganomicon that I really like, and aside from recipes for every occasion and meal it has good general info on vegan cooking. It is by two authors that are really well known in the vegan cooking community, leading the way with recipes. One author also wrote a book called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World that has gotten a lot of press.
    I also have a cookbook called Vegan Baking, but i haven't made anything from it yet.
    It seems like everyone is in to vegan baking now, so even the NYT has some vegan baking recipes and articles. I think people think it's healthier...

    Whole Foods has great vegan muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly decadent vegan cake recipe she gave me:

    Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe

    1 C sugar
    1 1/2 C flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 C cocoa
    1 tbsp vinegar
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 C cold water
    1 tsp vanilla

    Mix dry ingredients in ungreased cake pan or 8x8 in brownie pan. Make three holes in dry ingredients, pour wet ingredients into holes. Mix everything together. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete