Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sugar Bitches

To say that I have a sweet tooth is an understatement - I am the first to admit that I am a sugar addict, chocoholic, dessert-loving princess. So I love this time of year, the birthday-filled season in spring, cake after cake and ice cream ...

Though making a scrumptious dessert is hardly rocket science, especially with today's ready-made brownie mixes, I've never been the slice 'n bake kind of girl. Why take the easy route on the heavenliest of all courses, the grand finale, the best part? (Acknowledgement to my friend Kate who is a pastry chef is due here, as her work is not easy!) But follow a good recipe, and you too can make cookies like Betty. My grandma Betty or Betty Crocker, take your pick.
Among the baking cookbooks I've used I have to say that Sugar Bitches (Just Desserts) is one of the best; don't be fooled by the provacative title, this book is nothing but good recipes and no fluff. Organized by cakes, cookies, pies, etc., the recipes are easy to find and easy to make, no fancy advanced cooking techniques here. Not to mention there is a whole chapter on cheesecakes, including a white chocolate cheesecake (always make the crust from scratch, please!) that can't be beat. If there's one thing I know, it's desserts - this book is great.
Tip: after baking a cheesecake, turn off the oven and open the oven door to release the heat slowly, rather than immediately transferring to a cooling rack - this will prevent cracks from forming on top of the cake. I'm not a huge fan of water baths, but they do work. If your cheesecake does crack, cover the top with a thin layer of whipped cream to cover it up and voila! est magnifique.

No comments:

Post a Comment