Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Ode to Nutella

When discussing my chocolate addiction I think commentary on nutella is necessary - it may be the most highly addictive food there is. I first discovered nutella on my first trip to Italy when I was 18, where I found it was a typical accompaniment to bread an breakfast pastries, like butter or jam. Once I tried it, there was no going back.

Nutella was developed by Pietro Ferrero (of Ferrero Rocher) during World War II, as a way of stretching a dwindling supply of chocolate. Hazelnuts are plentiful in the Piedmont region of Italy, so they were ground and mixed with cocoa and milk to create this creamy spread, which could be produced in large quantities. The chocolate-hazelnut combination caught on, and soon people were hooked. (Try it - you'll see why.) They continued to make nutella after rationing was over and it became a common household item in Italy throughout the 20th century, though it was hard to find outside Europe until it started to become more popular elsewhere in recent years. Knock-offs, such as the Spanish product Nocilla or the French-manufactured version, which uses more sugar (we call it "faux-tella") just aren't the same. The best is the original Italian.

I began to see nutella advertisements on American television in the past year, signifying its transcendence into the U.S. market. What was once considered a novelty item is now becoming increasingly used in American kitchens. And what's not to love - nutella is literally half fat, with one of the richest tastes imaginable. I personally prefer it paired with lighter foods, such as fresh strawberries or bananas, though I've seen it eaten on white bread, (even with cereal) and of course on crepes. I find that once someone has a taste of nutella, they're hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment