Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lentil Soup

Upon yesterday's snowstorm I knew that a hot spicy soup was in order, and my lentil soup did the trick. It's a hybrid recipe I've developed by marrying a few different lentil soup recipes that I really like, to create my own:

3 cups lentils (I use a mix of dark and light)
1 yellow onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 spicy Italian sausages
1 Yukon gold potato
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
1/4 cup ketchup (I used as a tomato paste substitute)
dash red pepper flakes
palmfuls each: cayenne, cumin, chili powder, Hungarian spicy paprika (or to taste)
pinch ground cloves
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried rosemary
3-4 dashes of Tabasco
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1) Soak lentils in a bowl with water for a few hours before cooking.
2) In a large dutch oven on medium heat, saute chopped onion and minced garlic with red pepper flakes in good olive oil (I get mine directly from Italy ... just saying) and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove and set aside in bowl.
3) Add sausage to remaining bit of garlic-infused olive oil and brown, breaking into meat lumps. Once browned on all sides, add onions and garlic back in.
4) Boil 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup chicken stock in a small saucepan. Peel and dice potato into 1-inch chunks and pour into boiling water, simmering for five minutes before adding to sausage mixture.
5) Season with spices and dried herbs, stirring to coat meat and vegetables evenly. Add chicken stock and water; then add lentils. Turn up to a boil.
6) Reduce to simmer and add ketchup (if using tomato paste, use more like a tablespoon) and stir, covering pot. Simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours, checking to stir at least every half hour.
7) Once liquid has mostly absorbed into lentils to create a creamy effect, taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste. Here I add Tabasco sauce - what can I say, I like my kick.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment