Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kate's Essay "Food=Life"

In celebration of my sister Kate's birthday today I thought I'd post her essay "Food=Life" (which, I must note proudly, she submitted as a college application personal statement and subsequently was accepted to her first choice school! Go Katie.)

FOOD = LIFE

Food is an integral part of my world.  When I reflect upon my life, gourmet dinners, fine dining, and elaborate family celebrations rich with food-centered traditions comprise many of my fondest experiences.  As the daughter of two self-proclaimed “foodies,” I have developed more culinary knowledge than a typical prep cook.  Over the years, small Bundt pans, individual ramekins, and a crème brulee torch found their place on my birthday and Christmas wish lists.  Without the influence of my parents, I doubt I would have developed such a passion for food and cooking.

Cooking is my way to demonstrate my creativity. When I was eleven, I made a wedding cake - three tiers with raspberry filling, white chocolate frosting, and pink roses cascading down the sides.  I had no reason to make the cake other than to prove to myself that I could. Through food, I revel in the challenge of mastering new skills.

Although my kitchen cupboard is home to thousands of recipes and dozens of cookbooks, I learned to cook through intuition and experimentation.  The creative process of combining individual components into something greater comes naturally to me.  I am happiest when I succeed in creating a dish that is both delicious and beautiful.

Food is my art. The random and unexpected touches that I incorporate into my edible presentations make people smile. Tiny icing icicles cling to the eaves of the shingled roof and vines creep up the corners of stone masonry walls on my annual Christmas gingerbread house.  It may take eight hours to build and decorate, but the final product never fails to amaze and inspire my friends and family. I express my love for the world around me through my culinary creations."

No comments:

Post a Comment