Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Parents Weekend

My parents came up to visit Columbus Day weekend to get some New England fall foliage, and of course, eat some good food. It's no secret that fall is one of my favorite times to cook, with the abundance of autumnal produce, so I enjoyed cooking for our house guests. For lunches I made:


Wild mushroom and gouda tart 


Served warm with baby arugula:

We went up to Brattleboro, Vermont, and I had a field day at the Brattleboro Farmer's Market. With live fiddle music, crafts, and an assortment of exotic food (for lunch we had West African curry) in addition to the vast selection of produce, apple cider, baked goods, and local wines and ciders - not to mention the awesome eccentric locals - it felt to me more like a hippie Renaissance festival than just a market. I loved it.
Gorgeous beets at the farmer's market

We rounded out our Vermont day with a stop at Hidden Valley Maple for some authentic Vermont maple syrup, and a visit to Grafton Cheese to sample the sharp cheddars (and then a much-needed hike.) For dinner I made roasted root vegetables:

Heirloom carrots, turnips, parsnips, and purple potatoes

Maple-glazed sea bass over walnut arugula:

And pan-seared halibut with fresh herbs:

Served with a fall cocktail made from the cranberry wine (we bought at the farmer's market) and prosecco. A fall feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment