Friday, October 11, 2013

Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

My Grandma gave me a cast iron skillet as a housewarming gift and it's officially my new favorite toy. I'm obsessed with it - and am now experimenting with all the things it can do (besides cook a mean steak.) Here are some of the things I've done so far:




Iranian saffron roasted chicken with carrots and apricots. This is my attempt at a recipe my friend Nassim made for us during my trip to Qatar (my first homemade Iranian meal, so good!) - I couldn't pretend to replicate hers, but this was at least a tribute. I used real saffron I brought back from Egypt and braised the chicken thighs in the infused stock, allowing the carrots and apricots to caramelize and add a bit of sweetness to the savory dish. I served it alongside (brown) basmati rice, and finished the meal with tea.

Then for a more Spanish-style meal:


Queso fundido with spicy chorizo, caramelized onions, wild mushrooms, fresh thyme, and at the last minute I threw in some fresh green heirloom tomatoes on top for more color. I sauteed the vegetables until soft on the stove top and then added the cheese, broiling in the oven until bubbly on top. I served the dish with toasted flour tortillas and lime, and we just ate right out of the skillet. Comfort food to the max.

Next I plan on baking in the cast iron skillet, to use it in a whole new way!



1 comment: