Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Transforming Leftovers

We've all been there - you open the refrigerator to find a variety of tupperware containers and half-full condiment bottles, and think to yourself, "what can I do with this?" Get creative with leftovers - with a few simple tricks you can transform old dishes into new and inspired meals.

A week's process, for example:
Day One Fresh cod was on sale so I bought a bunch of fresh dill and created a simple marinade with olive oil, stone ground mustard, garlic and salt and pepper - a great flavor combination for the firm white fish.
Day Two Of course I had a ton of leftover dill so I used some leftover Greek yogurt I had to make homemade tzatziki - stir in some diced cucumber, minced garlic, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste - tip: drain cucumbers on paper towel to remove excess water before adding to yogurt - my Greek friend taught me this, and prevents watery sauce.
Day Five In an effort to use the remaining tzatziki before the Greek yogurt expired, I perused the multitude of open jars of sauces in the fridge and found some tikka paste. Aha! I thought. Greek-Indian fusion! I defrosted some chicken breasts and stirred a few heaping tablespoons of the tikka into the Greek yogurt (removing any remaining cucumber to the side) and coating the chicken in the newly-made marinade. I covered and refrigerated over night to let the flavors meld, which makes the meat moist and flavorful.
Day Six I baked the marinated chicken in an oiled baking dish at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I served the Greek-fusion chicken tikka masala with steamed vegetables and basmati rice, using one of the six different types of rice we have on hand in my kitchen.
Day Seven What to do with the leftover basmati rice? No one likes dried-out, day old rice. I made a simple stir-fry, sauteeing some vegetables (mushrooms, broccoli, tomato, onion, carrot) with minced garlic and ginger, adding sesame oil and some remaining Asian stir-fry sauce in an open jar in the fridge - using them up, excellent! I tossed in the leftover rice and stirred to coat evenly with the sauce and garnished with chopped scallion and lime juice. This was so delicious that it all got eaten and we had no leftovers!

Using a combination of fresh ingredients and carefully integrated leftovers, I created seafood, Greek, Indian, and east Asian dishes, each concept building upon the remainders of the last. Now that's food transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment