Monday, September 20, 2010

Peaches and Cream Oatmeal Cookies

Though I love a decadent dessert, sometimes you want to feel good about what you're eating.  These cookies are packed with healthy oats and dried fruit to give them a granola-reminiscent-I-could-eat-these for-breakfast feel, while using one of my favorite classic favorite combinations: peaches 'n cream!

Peaches and Cream Oatmeal Cookies:

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I added a bit more to make my cookies fluffier)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 stick butter, softened (I typically use Earth Balance vegan butter but regular is fine)
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried peaches (or whichever dried fruit your heart desires!)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I added less - I don't like to overdo nuts in cookies)
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (naturally you eat the rest of the bag ;) )

*I also added a dash of vanilla, personal preference.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.

*To soften the dried fruit, I soaked the peaches in water for 15 min. prior to mixing in.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Slowly add egg and continue mixing. Slowly add flour mixture, oats, peaches, walnuts, and white chocolate chips. Mix until combined.

Line 2 sheet trays with parchment. With wet hands make 20 balls from the dough placing evenly among sheet trays. Press down on cookie dough with palm of your hand to make a flat circle. (I completely omitted this step and used an ice cream scoop to place balls on ungreased cookie sheet, hence the thicker cookies - I'll try this method next time.)

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and still a bit tender in the center. Remove from oven and let sit on sheet trays 1 minute. Remove to cooling racks to cool completely.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment