Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lean and Green

After we watched the popular documentary "Super Size Me" the night before last, I was in the mood for a good salad. If I wasn't anti-fast food before (and I haven't stepped foot in a McDonalds in nearly a decade, other than to use the bathroom, of course) this film made sure of it. So, feeling gung-ho about saving our cholesterol from the high fat/red meat eater's fate, I decided to make a dish that I like to call my "mean, lean, green machine" - an epic salad packed with vegetables and low fat protein sources. Here it is:

Baby spinach leaves with garbanzo beans, hard boiled egg, roasted yellow peppers, sundried tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, topped with steaming tofu in an arrabiata sauce (Roman sauce of tomatoes, garlic, and red chili), a sprinkle of shredded skim mozzarella, a drizzle of good olive oil and freshly ground black pepper. Who knew a tofu salad could be so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment