Thursday, August 22, 2013

Beets!

I love beets. I realize that may seem a strange thing to love, but I really do. I learned to like beets pretty late in life, but now I've embraced them as an awesome addition to salads, roasted as a side, or, as I tried for the first time this summer: grilled.

Grilling beets was something I'd wanted to try for a while. It's pretty simple - you simply drizzle beets in a little olive oil, add some sea salt, wrap in aluminum foil, and place on the grill until they're tender. The most cumbersome part of the process is peeling the beets beforehand - I recommend using gloves (or in my case, putting my hand in a plastic bag) while peeling, otherwise you'll end up looking like something out of a slasher movie afterwards. We had our summer meal with grilled corn and beets out on the front porch:

I'd gotten a few pounds of beets from the farmer's market and we grilled them all, so there were leftovers. I sliced the remaining beets to use in a salad with mixed greens, walnuts, goat cheese, strawberries, and cherries:


Like glistening jewels. Then I was on such a beet kick that when I spotted golden beets at a market a few weeks later, I had to get those as well:


Golden beets have a milder, more mellow flavor than the red rubies, so the contrast of using both in a salad is very nice. For those who think they don't like beets - play around with them. Roast them, grill them, serve them warm or with cheese - I guarantee you'll soon realize that beets are a lot sweeter than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment