Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Obama Spinach Pie

My best friend Marc clipped a recipe of First Lady Michelle Obama's favorite recipe for spinach pie and brought it home for me, and after making it I have to say I love this spinach pie almost as much as I love Michelle Obama. Almost.

Here's the original recipe from Michelle Obama's book American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America:

Pinned Image
Of course I made some variations to the recipe (I can't help myself ...)
In my version of the Obama spinach pie, I used lowfat milk instead of half-and-half, and a mix of extra sharp cheddar and part skim mozzarella instead of Swiss cheese. I also seasoned my sauteed spinach with a pinch of red pepper flakes for heat and a bit of nutmeg. The pie turned out to be awesome:
 
Packed with a pound of fresh spinach, this savory pie is good hot and bubbly out of the oven, served at room temperature or even as cold breakfast leftovers, in my opinion. This I will have to make again and again ...

No comments:

Post a Comment