Friday, June 17, 2011

Bittersweet

For a dinner party I made chocolate mousse with no sugar - gasp! - and no butter, and used bittersweet Godiva chocolate for a rich, velvety decadent dessert. I designed this recipe drawing on elements from different recipes I've done over the years and simplifying, and here's what I came up with:

Ingredients
1 12-0z. package of Godiva bittersweet chocolate chips, at least 60% cacao
1 cup whipping cream, cold
3 eggs
1/4 cup Baileys/Baileys coffee creamer
Pinch salt

Method
1.) Put your beaters and bowl in the freezer. Set up double boiler on the stove on low heat and begin to melt all the bittersweet chocolate, stirring with a wooden spoon.
2.) While the chocolate melts, whisk your eggs and Baileys in a bowl. (Most recipes would call for sugar here but in my opinion the Baileys is sweet enough - if you can't get to the liquor store then use the newish Baileys flavored coffee creamer as a substitute.) Add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavors.
3.) Remove the melted chocolate from the stove and let it cool down.
4.) As the chocolate cools, beat your cold heavy whipping cream in the now frosty bowl, until stiff peaks form.
5.) Temper the eggs in the melted chocolate and then combine.
6.) Fold the chocolate-Baileys-eggs mixture into the whipped cream. *Tip: when my mother taught me how to fold when I was young, she always made a "swoosh!" noise to illustrate the arm motion as she cut the spatula through the cream. To this day I still hear her "swooshing" noises in my head when I fold - I find it helps to think of swooshing as you fold for the best result.
7.) Cover with plastic and chill over night. Garnish with fresh raspberries before you serve.

Note: this mousse can also be frozen into a chocolate mousse pie, if desired; simply fill chocolate cookie crust shell with mousse and freeze, topping the finished pie with Baileys whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

No comments:

Post a Comment