Friday, May 6, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

For Cinco de Mayo last night we had a fiesta dinner - my Mexican American friend made the tacos so I plead innocence to following ethnic stereotypes - it was his idea! So our menu was:
  • Fresh gaucamole and organic blue corn chips
  • Beef tacos served with shredded lettuce, homemade pico de gayo, grated cheese, and the choice of corn taco shells and/or charred flour tortillas
  • Black bean soup
  • Margaritas and Coronas, of course
Here's how I make my black soup:

1) Saute half an onion, diced, in a pot coated with olive oil, on medium heat until onion is translucent.
2) Add a two bay leaves and a pinch each of salt, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, ground chipotle, cayenne, and then cumin and chili powder to taste (I use about two parts cumin to one part chili; in this case I added probably 1/4 cup cumin but it will vary depending on desired heat level and quantity.) I added a few teaspoons of dried cilantro and a dash of cinnamon to balance the heat, stirring to coat the onions evenly in the spice mixture.
3) Dice some red and green pepper and stir in with onions (here I also added a few slices of diced jalapeno - what can I say? I like it hot.)
4) Pour in 2/3 small can tomato juice, scraping up all the spice bits off the pot and stirring into the liquid.
5) Add black beans, drained (I used two cans for a pot of soup to feed three people - for a family dinner, double this) and turn up heat to simmer, cooking off the liquid. Stir frequently to keep beans from sticking to the pot.
6) After 20 minutes or until the liquid has cooked down to thicken the bean mixture, turn off the heat and chill overnight to let flavors meld and develop.
7) The next day pour the beans into a food processor - remember to remove the bay leaves - adding a handful or blue corn chips (my secret ingredient!) and blend until almost smooth - I like some texture remaining to my soup.
8) Pour blended beans back into the pot and warm on the stove, tasting to adjust seasoning and add more cilantro and a few dashes of hot sauce. Grate fresh lime zest and squeeze the juice of a lime in to brighten it up before serving, garnished with a few serrano chile slices on top and grated cheese for topping if desired. This soup with a Corona is pretty much a fiesta in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment