Friday, June 18, 2010

Running Food

In preparation for Sunday's 5K the athletes will all eat to fuel themselves pre-race; though not as strictly regimened as before the Marathon, each runner has his/her own "energy food" favorites. My friend Ivonne, for example, really likes peanut butter-filled pretzel bites before she runs, whereas others go for bagels. Here are my personal picks:

  • Carb boost: granola bars. I recommend Bear Naked, Kashi, or Nature Valley "oats 'n honey" flavor - so much better than Chewy bars.
  • Protein: spoonful of peanut butter on banana - the classic combo.
  • Energy bars: I prefer Luna and Pria to other brands like Powerbar (which taste chemical-y to me) and urge men not to shy away from trying the products marketed for women - they won't inject you with estrogen, don't worry - I promise they taste good!
  • Sugar high: honey sticks are "in" nowadays in the running world as a quick fix for a pre-race sugar surge, but I personally prefer a spoonful of pure maple syrup.
  • Hydration plan: seasoned runners develop personal plans for when to hydrate throughout races, when to switch from water to Gatorade, etc. Some are even buying into the energy drink trend and going for caffeinated drinks before shorter road races, but I personally stay away from the coffee and Red Bull since it goes right through me - stick with water.
  • Post-race snack: orange slices are my favorite on hot summer days. I avoid heavy dairy after a tiring run and go for the lighter options, such as multigrain Sun Chips and hummus and fresh lemonade. Full meals to follow can range from chicken sandwiches with sprouts to lean fish and brown rice, to replenish and refuel for the next one!

Hungry for a run?

No comments:

Post a Comment